Wednesday, January 23, 2019

52 Ancestors in 52 weeks-Part 4

I'm caught up with this one!
The challenge-someone you'd like to meet.
This is hard, how to choose?
Still, I think this one.

Jaley Roann Birdsong
I've always loved her name!
Wanted to name my daughter after her but her Dad wouldn't agree!
Elizabeth is a lovely name as well.

Jaley Roan Birdsong was born November 16, 1851 in Missouri -perhaps Cedar County or Moniteau County.
She was named after her father's sister also Jaile, bit different spelling.
Actually, I think the name Jaile/Jaley belonged to several ladies.  So a family name it seems.
Her parents were:
James P Birdsong and Mary C. Beatty
She married James Polk Hickam on March 9, 1849 in Moniteau County Missouri.
They had four children, 
Two girls:
Clementine Orlene Hickam who married Charles Adam Ketterman
Vicey Myrtle Hickam who married John Walter Jackson-she and my grandparents had a running feud (of sorts) over which religion was better Baptist or Methodist!
Two Boys: 
Larenzo "Lee" Neminah Hickam who married Margaret Bell Burchett 
William Hamilton Hickam who married Cora Colin

Jaley died  February 16, 1938 and is buried in Inola, Oklahoma (which is within the Cherokee Nation although I'm not sure about any tribal affiliation.)
My father remembers her a bit.
Said she laughed a lot.
I like that idea.


The only photo I have of her.
Something about her eyes and mouth says she smiled a lot,
in some of these old photos the folks look downright mean!

My lineage:
Gail Sue Hickam>James Robert Hickam>Charles Lloyd Hickam> William Hamilton Hickam> Jaley Roann Birdsong and James Polk Hickam


1 comment:

a good yarn said...

There's a cheeky glint in those eyes! I do like the name Clementine. Anyone who had their photo taken in Victorian and Edwardian times has to sit still for quite a while so they told not to smile.