Saturday, April 11, 2020

Friday Night With Friends- April

 I've been chained to my sewing machine this past week making face masks!  I finished up while sewing along with Friday Night with Friends-both Thursday (for the Southern Hemisphere) and Friday (for the North.)  Anyway, all 36 are complete and will be heading to their new homes today.   Well, four will stay with me! Thank you Cheryll for setting us up every month.  You can see what everyone else got up to here.

My back and shoulders are killing me so I think tonight will be about hand work and let poor Jilly the Janome rest!


I played around with sourdough yesterday, as well.  Tried this Chocolate cake.  Tastes like every other chocolate cake I've ever eaten -only dry-so I'll be recycling the paper the recipe is printed on.  Next time I need to use up extra starter I think I'll try cinnamon rolls.

I had better luck with the bread!  I adapted my Granna's Sponge bread recipe to use sourdough instead of bakers yeast.  This bread has long rises anyway but the instructions said to double that, which I did and the results were yummy.  I also added some whole wheat flour I had on hand to hopefully help stretch out my stock of regular flour as the stores are still sold out.  I'll definitely do this again, it might just be worth dealing with sourdough starter all the time!

If I've only learned one thing from this pandemic it is that I need a food stockpile.  I'm not talking a 2 year supply, I have no idea what that would be or where I would store it.  Just a good supply of basics like flour, sugar, coffee, etc.  I will be putting some shelving in the basement store room where it is cool.  I needed to do that anyway.  I'd keep chickens but the city frowns on it!


I'm heading out to the post office soon (pretty nervous about that but I'll be wearing one of my facemarks. ) The closer family should get theirs early in the week, the California threesome will have to wait a bit longer.  After that I need to cut grass, before Quinn gets lost in it.  If I have enough energy after that I'm going to cleanup the hosta bed and install a decorative fence around it which I hope will keep Miss Quinn out of it.  

A full but productive day ahead.

Stay Home. Stay Well.  Blessed Be.

5 comments:

Cheryll said...

That's a fantastic effort...well done.
And yes a rest has been earned I think.
EnJoY all that YuMMy food... I can almost smell it over here...xox

Lin said...

Great work on all those masks and your bread looks delish. xx

Susie H said...

The bread looks delicious. Sorry the cake was dry. My answer would be to just glop even more frosting on the top or give it a large scoop of ice cream! Haha! Have a good week!

a good yarn said...

Great work on the masks! Your loaves look as delicious as I bet they tasted. Funny how folks seems to be taking to bread making. Here is the shops, there plenty of bread of all kinds. Chocolate cake is hit and miss for me too. The last one I made was a banana choc combo as was quite nice but hey, banana. I've always kept a decent pantry (not as well stocked as my mother used to). I always seem to run out of eggs though.

Minyatur1001 said...

nice