Friday, September 9, 2016

Glacier National Park


Lake MacDonald, Glacier National Park, Montana
Finally, the sun is shinning and the clouds are making their way to the east!  I took the day to go into the park.  Glacier National Park that is.  Often called the Crown of the continent.  Maybe.  I've been here twice before and it is beautiful, but I've always come away a bit disappointed.  I think I figured it out today.  Roughly 90% of Glacier is visible ONLY if you hike in.  Some of it would take several DAYS to hike in to.  I'm okay with some hiking, not sure about days though.  That said, I will not hike alone.

Also Lake MacDonald, Glacier National Park, Montana

Glacier is home to a great deal of wildlife.  In particular, bears.  Meeting a black bear would get your heart rate up but they are mostly more afraid of you than you of them.  Meeting a grizzly bear might mean the end of you.  They are huge and unpredictable and at a time of the year when they are busy storing fat for winter and food supplies are beginning to dwindle it is especially dangerous.  I wouldn't mind seeing one from the safety of my truck but on foot, no thank you.


The West side of Glacier must get a great deal of moisture.  There is moss everywhere! The lodgepole pines are so thick most places you could not walk in a straight line through them-the zig zag would be needed!

The Clouds still drifting across the mountains.
I bought some gifts at the shops, and rode the shuttle part of the way up Logan Pass on Going to the Sun Road.  Seems to be a few glitches -and some serious waiting lines to make Logan Pass.


Snowberries
Tomorrow, we're headed to Polebridge and possibly a lake inside the park depending on what the road looks like!  (The weather should hold for at least one more day so pictures!)




2 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

I wouldn't like to run into a bear either.......gorgeous spot......

a good yarn said...

It must be breathtaking to see all the sky reflected in the lake. Don't fancy an up close and personal with a grizzly bear and I'm guessing that's how they got their name.
That's a terrific photo of the tree roots and moss.