Sunday, June 14, 2020

Veggie garden and the final projects

 In the corner of the veggie garden I have some very large pots.
It seems that I still do not have enough garden boxes built!
Not doing anymore this year.
The biggest pot is sweet potatoes-thank you Denise for inspiring that!
The white pot has gourds that have just popped up since yesterday.
The other two have runner beans and nasturtiums planted in them but they haven't broken the surface as yet.

These two boxes have the four  blueberry plants in them.
That was quite a job getting those in the ground, 
not the least of it was finding Canadian Sphagnum Moss!
(I'm never going to learn to spell sphagnum!)

 This one has blueberries on it.  
I should (and will) pluck them off so the plants can just set out roots.
It's gonna hurt, I love blueberries.


These two beds are intended for strawberries (above) and raspberries (below, one lonely "Volunteer" from elsewhere in the yard)  Both beds had green beans planted and up  
as I can't source the berry plants until the fall.




Above are sweet peppers, beans, squash and cucumbers.
Below are tomatoes and basil.
I read that basil makes the tomatoes taste better, I'll let you know.


There's also some radishes and beets sprinkled in there.
The cherry tomatoes are already setting fruit!


The final section here is for the projects I've finished.


The wall to hold back the dirt so I can open the gate enough to drive the truck into the back.


The Hosta wall, hoping to keep the dirt in place.


The front garden without the boxwood bushes. 
Just need to figure out what to do there now!
Those Stargazer lilies don't belong there, 
I think moving them will happen in the fall.


Finally,  the meter area which had sunk to the rear.
Now, a lighter hose keeps the hose hanger upright.
 Flowers have been added, 
as well as bricks to divide it from the yard and the splash block has been unearthed.
There's another pot of daisies that will go into the area as soon as they are large enough.

I hope you enjoyed the visit to my gardens!


5 comments:

simplestitches said...

beautiful garden you have Gail...love all those raised beds I'm sure will make your veggie gardening easier.

a good yarn said...

That’s a delicious vegetable garden you have planted. You can’t beat fresh home grown veggies. I grew all the vegetables in pots one year and had good crops. We are sub-tropical where I am so not cold enough for raspberries. It’s good for children to see where fruit and vegetables come from and how much work is required to grow and care for them. Only seeing them in supermarkets means they don’t learn just what’s involved. Do the grandkids get to spend time in your garden?

Chookyblue...... said...

lots of raised beds....I need some of those too........

Lin said...

Gosh you have been busy Gail. Such a lot of plants and lovely veg and fruit to come. xx

jude's page said...

I think I could do with some of those raised beds, they look great, hope you get lots of good pickings.