Saturday, May 16, 2020

This week's work and Friday Night Stitching

 First off, the two large garden beds are in and planted.  Building the frames was easy- loading in dirt and compost not so much!  (It took 14- 40 lb bags of top soil and 5-40 lb bags of compost to fill each one!  My back hurts even though I drove the truck back closer to them!
I have tomatoes, peppers, and basil plants in and seeds for green beans, cucumbers, squash, radishes and beets.  Small amounts of each but enough for one!
Lettuce is up in a planter, another couple of weeks and I'll be eating it!  IF it warms up!
 All week long I've been working on this piece and it was part of my Friday Night Stitching.  Almost finished with the candies!  There's a ribbon and a big star yet to go before I can begin to back stitch.  I'm excited to be this far!
 All week long, and last night I worked at sewing the rows to add to the secret squirrel.  I began adding them to the finished part last night.  See the yellow pin?  That row is in up-side down!  Un-sewing is never fun but I'll get it turned around later today.  I realized this week that there was NO WAY I was going to have enough fabric for this thing. Panic, dread, fear, I know I bought this a couple of years ago so there is no way to get more.  I decided to hope that I could get something that was the same basic color even if the pattern wasn't the same (these squares finish at 3/4" so pattern isn't really such a big deal.)  So, yesterday I took my mask and headed to the Quilt shop hoping, I mean REALLY hoping, that I could find something.   I DID!  I will mix the two reds and two oranges together until I run out of the original and finish in the new-that way it won't be so obvious that I changed fabric.

Several of you have wondered what in the world I'm doing here.  The piece I'm working on goes on the bottom of this.  It is a mathematical mosaic.  That's all you get to see, except the bit I'm working on!



I did bake bread again-comes around about once a week- this time plain white bread, my Granna's recipe converted to sourdough.  Again, I had more starter than I needed so I tried some sourdough waffles.  I wasn't impressed, will just use my old faithful waffle recipe from here on out.  Last night I made a Chicken Curry in my little 1.5 Quart crockpot.  The crockpot's adorable!  The curry was okay but too bland, I may make it again after reading other curry recipes and tweaking the ingredients some.  Since there is only one of me I'm always looking for recipes that have been downsized to 2 servings or that I can freeze in individual servings.  I've more than met my goal of 2 new recipes this month but there will be more, I'm on a roll!

Today, I have to mow, AGAIN. Happens every week about this time.  Later, I have an order to pick up at Lowe's for more raised beds and some shelves.  I won't go in, they will bring it out and load it for me.  Of course, I will have to UNLOAD it when I get home!  The shelves are tomorrow's project. Then stitching.  Not so busy this weekend.

6 comments:

Jeanette said...

Your garden beds look great. Love your cross stitch & the quilt looks lovely. Glad you were able to find fabrics to work into your quilt. Hugs, xx

Maria said...

Sew good to have things pop up in the garden beds..
Lovely bright threads in the cross stitch..
Great you could get fabrics for the quilt...

Lin said...

Not so busy! Sounds like you are very busy to me. Well done with getting those raised beds filled - such a great idea and sounds like you are making more. Good idea to mix those two fabrics on your secret stitching - good that you were able to find something you could use. xx

Raewyn said...

You have been busy - and so satisfying to get those raised gardens built and growing! Your nutcracker piece is looking beautiful. Well done with the fabric shopping - I'm intrigued by your mosaic quilt!

Sharon Kwilter said...

I'm really looking forward to your unmasking of the math quilt. I've made a couple of math-themed quilt for my husband, though neither was as challenging as what you're working on; more strange angles and fewer little pieces.

Susan said...

i am really looking forward to seeing this black & red quilt come to life.