Monday, May 18, 2020

At work in the basement

 In the basement, where the studio is, I have a long skinny room.  I holds the furnace and hot water heater and is stubbed in for a half bath.  Since it's unlikely that I will ever install said bath  there's a lot of room just hanging out not doing much of anything.  I had basically dumped all the empty totes etc from the move in there but it was a mess!
As I've decided to develop a bit of a food stockpile I knew I would need someplace to PUT it as my kitchen isn't much for storage.  So, one day last week I hauled out all of the boxes and empties and measured the space for shelves.  I decided to follow Ana White's plans for making storage shelves using 2 by 4 studs.  I ordered 22 8 footers and some 3 inch self-tapping screws--those have to be one of the greatest inventions EVER!  Sunday, I set about making them.  Can I just say that carrying all those 2 x 4's to the basement was no fun.  When I got to adding them for the self itself I realized that I didn't order enough so today I picked up 11 more but it is finished!  The totes on it have craft stuff or food in them all labeled.  It is so tidy, I love it!

Of course, I still need to deal with this!
 Most of it will be organized and stored under the stairs.
Some of the ones with no lids (or lids with no matching bottom) will be let go in the recycling or used to haul things for donations.

Then there's this mess!  After watching Leonie Maree's (on the Facebook group Love and Hugs form Australia) lovely video on using pool noodles to layer your quilts I just had to try it and it needs a long table. Not to mention the pool noodles which can be found at the local Walmart!  Fortunately, my two IKEA cabinets are on wheels so I re-arranged the studio.  I have to finish cleaning that mess up as well.

Why does cleaning always make such a mess?




2 comments:

Lin said...

Great use of that space Gail. I know, tidying up always means making a worse mess than you started with - good to get it done though. xx

Susan said...

some progress is good progress....reorganising always creates havoc first!