Saturday, February 16, 2019

52 Ancestors-catching up

Another cactus-They have gone crazy!
 I love that they are blooming when so much of my world is white.
So, 52 Ancestors.
I'm behind.
Partly, because I was in Tennessee,
Partly, because I didn't know what to do with the last prompt of January.
"At the Library"
Most everything I have on my Ancestors was found at one Library or another!
I live near one of the top Genealogical libraries in the US.
Midwest Genealogy Center.
I go often.
I use books,
Microfilm,
online databases,
and pick the minds of the staff.
So,
I'm combining two weeks.
The first week in February the prompt was
"Surprise"
So this blog is
"Surprise at the Library"

I first heard the name Peter Colin from my Grandmother.
Which is interesting since he was my Grandfather's 
Great-Grandfather!
Or maybe not.
The families were in the same county after all.
My Granna was adamant that his last name was pronounced
Colley.

Peter was born Pierre Colin in France around 1800.
Both the cities of Lyon and Paris are given for more exact place of birth.
That said those two places are Not especially close together!
Some have said that his parents are: 
Jean Michel Colin
and Elizabeth Martin.
Both of France.
I don't have proof for that though.
Peter/Pierre is mentioned in several county histories.
(The History of Cass and Bates So, The History of Vernon Co.)
All those say that he was born in France and came to St Louis, MO  
"at an early age" (whatever that means)
and that he was located on the banks of the Osage River 
At the Gireau Trading Post
about 3 miles downriver of Papinsville.
At the Rapids de Kaw or Collen's ford. 
You won't find that on any map, 
but I have been there!
They also said he was at that location as early as 1836.
Like many Frenchmen,
 he was an associate of the American Fur Trading Co. 
He became a well established Indian trader.
(I assume, with mostly, the Osage as that was Osage territory.)
On 20 May 1834 he married
Maria Rosa Cottnoir in St Clair County, IL.
(Surprise! I found their marriage date at the Library!)
Again, my grandmother said her name was Cottey.
Maria was born in Canada,
but I imagine she was of French-Canadian origins.
(There were many French folks in the St Louis area.  
The Mississippi and Missouri Rivers were first explored by French Fur traders.
Many coming here from either Canada or New Orleans.
All part of the Louisiana Purchase.)
They had six children, 2 boys and 4 girls.
First born was Augustine about 1836.
The family left the area during the Civil War
( Remember General Order No 11? They had to leave.)
 Augustine did not return with them.
Still trying to figure out what happened to him.
Then came Victor, born 9 September 1840 in Bates County, MO.  He married twice, 
First to Nanny Warson/Wasson and Second to Rachael Swafford.
Then came the girls:
Marie born 19 March 1843  and married Richard A Wasson
Josephine born in 1844
Sophia born 1850 married Leon Lote
I don't know the name of the 4th girl,
to discover that would be a lovely surprise.
Pierre/Peter died 26 November 1875 
at their home,
 The Gireau Trading Post on the Osage River.
And is buried at Papinsville-
I've looked but found no marker.
Maria/Marie died in 1876
Also at their home.

My lineage:  Gail Sue Hickam.>James Robert Hickam> Charles Lloyd Hickam>Cora Colin>Victor Colin>Pierre/Peter Colin and Maria Rosa Cottnoir.




2 comments:

a good yarn said...

Your winter blooms are beautiful. It’s still very hot and humid here and I’ll be glad to see the end of it. Such fascinating ancestors you have. I can’t imagine leaving my home town to start a new life in a strange land but that generation did. I’m thrilled to have recently discovered that one of father’s uncles married and had a daughter. I was always told none of them married. I have made a tentative approach and just have to wait and see if they wish to communicate. Here’s hoping.

Janice said...

How interesting. It must be quite exciting when you learn some new information.