Thursday, April 4, 2019

Tears

For the past several years I've read two kinds of books:  Non-fiction, mostly history, and romance.  I decided not long ago that I would widen the reading and so I've read a couple of really good books outside the box lately.  Books I'd really recommend.

First, I finished The Storyteller's Secret yesterday.  Sobbing with tears streaming down my face.  Mascara and all.  It is a wonderfully compelling book even though you begin with the knowledge that some parts of it won't be easy (or happy) to read.  Still, I could not put it down and the ending is so beautiful the tears began while I still had pages left to read.
Set in India during British rule and today it speaks of family and how the history of that family and its secrets flow down through the generations.  So Good! I can not remember the last time a book made me cry. I'll be downloading Sejal Badani's other book really soon.


 Second, is this memoir by Dani Shapiro-Inheritance.  The story of the author's struggle to come to terms with the secrets in her family (Wow, I have a theme going here) when her Ancestry DNA results are so surprising as to not be believable.  The trauma this causes her and the results of a long process of coming to terms with the why,  the how, and the who.


Again, a really lovely, compelling book. I couldn't put it down.

1 comment:

Denice Barker said...

Inheritance is getting a lot of hype so it's good to know a real person who has read it and liked it.