Thursday, July 11, 2019

Camping

Camping at Arrowrock.
If you've followed me for any length of time you will have realized that
I love to camp at Arrowrock State Historic site.
It's a smallish campground,
usually dominated by couples without children.
So it's quiet.
It is fairly close to home and to Columbia where Scott and Bri live.
I store my trailer in caves quite far north from my home
Which is a pain if I'm headed south!
Going to Arrowrock though is simple.
The caves are only a short distance (like 2 blocks) from US Highway 24.
I like driving this way, 
there is rarely much traffic for one thing!
The road follows the south side of the Missouri River,
Although, you can't see the river from the Highway.
Over hills and through valleys
A few small towns and lots of farm land.
Mostly,
Corn.
This year continues to be very wet,
so wet that at least two roads I passed had signs that either 
the bridge was closed or there was water over the highway.
You can see from the corn that farmers had trouble getting into low-lying fields.
The corn on the top of the hill is in tassel and Very Tall.
Down in the low spots it raged from a few inches to maybe 3 feet tall.
It is beautiful to see the hills spread out before you covered in gorgeous, 
vibrant green.
As I was driving I couldn't help but think of the movie Field of Dreams
all the baseball players going into the corn and just fading away.

I drove down on the 3rd
meeting up with Beth and family for the 4th holiday.
Scott and Bri brought the kids up for the 4th and we had a picnic.
Of course, it began raining.
There was a stream through the campsites!
We missed the fun parade, bummer.
When the 3rd round of rain poured down on us 
we moved the party to Scott's in Columbia.
Some stayed for the fireworks but Quinn and I went back to the trailer.
For the quiet of a place where fireworks are not allowed!
Saturday, we went into Columbia again for dinner and ice cream.
Sunday,
Beth's family packed up and headed home
leaving their golden retriever, Zoe, to ride home with me the following day.
The campground was nearly deserted that night!
Monday, I packed up, hooked up and went home,
dropping off both the trailer and Zoe on the way.
After unloading the truck and showering I took a long NAP!
It had been quite hot and buggy all weekend.

I was quite proud of the fact that I managed to backache truck up to the trailer and hook up on the first try!  
Guess all the truck backing practice has made a difference!
Also,
I bought a new battery last year and it didn't run the tongue jack-
which is no fun cause then I have to do it by hand!
I was all set to take the battery back
But,
I discovered that the key that keeps the battery from running down was off!
Ran the jack just fine when I took it back!
Ugg!
All those camping trips where I raised and lowered it with a fourway.
Totally unnecessary!
I need a check list for picking up and leaving!

1 comment:

a good yarn said...

Arrowrock sounds really interesting. So you folks have had all the rain and it's drought Down Under still. That's weather I guess. How delightful to spend 4th July with the family. You have the camping gig down pat. We've had cold weather here (cold for us). I have been enjoying the MLB and am slowly figuring out the lingo they use.