Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Kingman, AZ to Kayenta, AZ




For the first fifty miles or so I was traveling on I-40, just me and the semis.  Not even any radio stations coming in, boring!  Thank goodness Rob called.  At Williams I headed north for the South Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park.  Nice road, nice views, driving in trees etc.  I arrived at Grand Canyon in good time, parked and began the search for the canyon!  Sounds odd but you can't actually see it from the parking or the Visitor's center, you have to take a walk  over to it and when you finally come up to this:

For the first moment, it literally takes the breath out of you!  This photo and the ones to follow don't really do it justice.  The scope is just immense and the colors so subtle and so similar from point to point that it is hard to see the edges of things.  I took photos for you, bought a book of professional photos and some post cards for me.


On my way out of the Park I saw a road sign that was totally new to me:
Watch for Cougars on highway.  I've seen signs for deer, elk, cattle, horses, and even bears but this is the first time for cougars!  I did not see one though, darn it.

Heading east and west through the desert of the Navajo Nation,  I stopped at Kayenta, AZ for the night.  Only place with hotel rooms for many, many miles.

No comments: