Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Day Five, Can it be?



I spent the morning today driving inside a picture postcard!  Take a look.


I also went over the Dallas Divide at 8970 ft and Lizard Head pass (great name huh?) at 10,282 ft.  Just at lunch I stopped at Anasazi Heritage Center which is part of the Canyons of the Ancients National Monument.  There are several ancient settlement sites throughout the area and I walked up to the Escalante Ruins site-photos
Up on a high hill (well you can see the view) they could have seen anyone coming--early warning system?

After this I "did" Mesa Verde National Park.  I can now say I've "been there, done that" I think it might be over rated and I know the road in and out is an eyebrow!  The View is fantastic though in all directions.  I did walk down to the Spruce Tree House which was very interesting and I enjoyed it very much.  I did not do any of other other sites as all involve climbing and descending a number of ladders-that vertigo thing again.

I don't think I'll go back there but who knows.  I once heard these kind of dwellings as defensible by a small boy with a pointed stick, Humm.

On the way to Durango, Colorado I saw a really funny thing (well I thought it was funny but I was exhausted) a closed ski area, lifts and all with cows grazing under it!  Spent the evening trying to figure out where to go next!

PS:  I started this yesterday and was too tired to finish, oops

1 comment:

a good yarn said...

And to think that just a couple of days ago you were beinf snowed upon. What a difference. It's all so interesting. I'd love to see it all. ann :-)