Sunday, June 6, 2010

West Coast Vacation-Day Five

Rob and Tanya arrived from Kansas City to join Beth, Lucas, Brayden, Kolby, Steve, Candice, Nora and I for four days. So we hooked up at one of my favorite places in the San Diego(hereafter referred to as SD) area, I try to make it up here every time I come, Old Point Loma lighthouse part of Cabrillo National Monument. On a clear day you can see San Diego harbor and skyline on one side and the open sea on the other, the view is amazing. In the winter you can whale watch from there! We saw fighters taking off from the naval bases in SD, Coast Guard choppers and boats and a Navy ship while we were there along with surfers, sea gulls and pelicans. Part of the group went all the way down to the tide pools and stuck their feet in! Kelsey and I opted for high ground.

San Diego is one of the hardest places to get around I've ever visited (and I thank whomever thought up GPS for we peons every time I get in the car.) I've often heard the expression "You can't get there from here." I wonder if it originated here? There is so much more traffic than I'm used to! For me the hardest thing is finding a parking place! Every place you go it's like Christmas at the Mall and my 1/2 ton pickup is BIG! (Or seems that way).

2 comments:

Lucas said...

I second the GPS thought. I'm so glad we had one. And parking was one of the most frustrating things for me also. Even at the hotel it was a fight for spots, and then trying to get in and out of spots once you found one. The spots are about a foot narrower then hear and the rows are so much closer. You can't just pull into a spot it's always "Pulling a maneuver"...

a good yarn said...

It sounds like a pretty impressive place. Perhaps that's why it's so popular. GPS is a marvellous invention. Cheers, Ann :-)