Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A Weekend For the Memory Books-Part 2

Saturday morning came much earlier than I would have liked!  Quinn had had enough of this lazing about sleeping and wanted up and out!

After breakfast I set about all the chores relating to unhooking and unloaded the bins for Ceili out of the back of the truck.  Set about unpacking, organizing.

At 10 we had reservations for a float trip on the Merrimac river so off we headed.  I really did not prepare at all well for this weekend nor for the float trip.  I'd never been on one!  The six of us (dogs stayed in the air conditioned trailers) climbed onto a school bus for the ride upstream where we loaded into a rubber raft (think Zodiac only not sea worthy and without the motor!) shoved off and headed down river.

The river is mostly shallow- we scraped bottom several times and sometimes had to get out and push off again-and in places quite still-hence the need for the paddles they gave us.  Brayden and Kolby where in and out of the raft swimming, fish that they are!  Riding the current with their life jackets at times.  We beached several times, had sandwiches (thank you Beth and Lucas), waded in the COLD water, sat in the water to cool off (90'sF and quite sunny!), Ethan tried and tried to catch one of the tiny fish at the edge of the water, managing to stay mostly dry!

Beth and Lucas have a waterproof camera so photos were being taken and Ethan dropped it in the water.  Fairly deep water-chest high on over 6' Lucas!  Lucas hit the water quick, took off his sandals and threw them into the boat.  To begin feeling for it with his feet, Kolby and Brayden did the same while Beth and I kept the raft from floating off without them, finally grounding it.   Whether it was pure luck or above average skill coupled with determination Lucas actually FOUND it!  Unharmed.  Ethan didn't get it back!

After about 4 hours we landed where we'd begun.  I think I want a kayak!

Sunday, it was hot again so we went down to the river to wade, swim, ride the current etc.  Me, I just sat and felt the water change temperatures.  Sometimes warmish and then a really cold spot would hit and go back to warmish.

Two days on the water-no sunscreen for me (Dummy)-no sunburn, not even pink!

Also on Saturday and Sunday I began sorting out Ceili and beginning to take out the bunk beds to create a more useable space.  Fact is I don't need bunk beds!  I have some adaptations I want to make and removing the bunk beds was the beginning.  Unfortunately, I didn't bring the right tool to cut the metal frames and get them out.  Going to need to take a few days at a campground once the weather cools off!  Took stuff out, made a list of things I need.  Made a list of stuff in there so I don't bring extras I don't need next time.  Also noted that I needed a new battery and new tires!

1 comment:

a good yarn said...

Wow - what a lot of fun and excitement. Sounds like a good time was had by all.