Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Continuing Saga of Ryan and Irons

First, Ryan's esophagus is connected!  Surgery was very successful, the two ends actually meeting.  He's still intubated and sleeping off drugs but will be back to "throwing himself at normal" within a few days.  In two weeks they will do a swallow test to check for leaks, if none are found then they get to begin feeding him-by mouth!  When I got the text from Scott today (some 6 hours after Ryan went to the OR) I let out a huge sigh of relief!  So glad that's over.  Scott called tonight and I could hear the relief in his voice as well-and I could hear Bri laughing in the background.  It was a good day all around.

Now, the continuing saga of irons.  I went down to the studio Sunday to sew for a few hours and turned on all the surge protectors, including the one on the iron.  It WOULD NOT heat!  So I've had this one three years at the most, maybe only two, URGH!!!  I read up on the best irons for 2015 and while a Rowenta won I've decided that with today's shoddy workmanship I wasn't spending the money for high-end stuff any longer, so I bought the best choice in the lower cost category.  The Sunbeam GCSBSP-201.  The only reason it was second choice was that it didn't heat up quite as quickly.  It looks like this
I used it tonight while working on quilt blocks and found that it heated up quite quickly and didn't turn itself off too soon! I didn't have to read the owner's manual to figure out how to work it either!   I hope it lasts for a few years anyway.  I find it disturbing to have to replace relatively new appliances--oh lets face it it's just annoying!

2 comments:

a good yarn said...

That is fantastic news about Ryan. I can't imagine how anxious you have all been. Keep fighting little buddy - you have to grow big enough to try funnel cakes! Good luck with your Sunbeam. Mine leaks like a sieve and like you I'm not prepared to spend big money. I plan to try the Phillips - not that I'm convinced it will be all that much better.

Chookyblue...... said...

such wonderful news about Ryan.......and so good to see he can feed normal in the next pic........
It is hard to get a good iron and I agree you don't need to spend heaps to get a good one...........