Friday, February 7, 2014

Drought.

I've been thinking about drought lately.  Not here thankfully, I live east of the line of aridity.  I've been reading The Worst Hard Time which is about the Dust bowl of the 1930's on the high plains.  Every time I look at the cover I think of Chookyblue who is a farm wife in Australia where the drought is severe and heartbreaking.  My son in San Diego is living with a serious drought, in fact all of California is.  They're taking measures to save water and the lawn is dying-to which he says "Cool, I won't have to mow."  Lifestyles have to change and it could happen any where, any time.  Even here, east of the line of aridity, I've lived with droughts.  Usually only for one year though, the dust bowl was for 8 and Chooyblue said they've not had good rain since 2011.  She's putting photos up on her blog-check them out.  Think about how drought affects us all--the biggest effect most of us see are at the grocery store as the cost of food rises.  Then think about what global climate change really means in terms of human (and animal) suffering.

No comments: