Friday, August 16, 2013

Missouri State Fair!

I went to the Missouri State Fair yesterday.  I had never been, not even when I was in 4-H and exhibiting things did I go.  I might not have gone but the weather has been so lovely and cool for August and I needed to get away from home for the day.  It's about an hour drive to Sedalia, home of the state fair, then I had to find it which wasn't at all hard.  Admission is charged but when I started to pull out my wallet I was told it was free for me.  Huh?  Women in Agriculture day, all women get in free!  So free admission plus free parking, not a bad deal.  I was a bit disappointed, I somehow expected more.  It's an agricultural fair and so I expected to see animals, lots of different animals, but no.  The sheep had already been judged and taken home and the goats had not yet come, the poultry was gone but there were several hundred rabbits!  So of those duds are BIG, and how does one choose a "Best in Show" for a breed of rabbit?  There were only four kinds of horses on the grounds; Belgiums, Percherons, Halfinlger and Gypsy.  The Gypsy were why I choose Thursday, so I got to see the Gypsy horse show.  Then I went to the horse barn and met a few in person as well as their owner from Thorn Hill Farms.  I drive past Thorn Hill every time I go to Beth's house and I've fallen in love with these gorgeous animals!  They were bigger than I thought but much smaller than the Draft horses-Belgiums and Percherons are HUGE-and traditionally were used to pull the Gypsy traveling wagons.  They have a really gentle disposition too.  Just a beautiful up close and personal!

I walked through the exhibit buildings, saw some quilts-one made by the woman do does long arm quilting for me!  Just beautiful.  Again, it seemed like there were fewer entries than could have been expected but I don't have a frame of reference.

I ate fair food!  Corn dogs, corn on the cob and funnel cakes! No fair is complete without those, although I can say for sure I won't be buying a funnel cake at Santa-Cali-Gon!  Too much sugar=headache.

All in all, I certainly won't go every year but I might try the Iowa State Fair!  It's supposed to be the biggest and best of all!

1 comment:

a good yarn said...

Our Royal Easter Show in April seems much the same. Not as good as when I was younger. It's an agricultural fair too but seems to have been hijacked by more modern razzle dazzle and outrageous prices. I used to like wandering the halls to see the cakes; jams; flowers. animals and the District displays. Haven't been for over 12 years.