Sunday, February 24, 2013

Waiting for more.

That's right, another BIG snowstorm is heading straight for us!  6-10 inches, although the latest storm tracks put us on the high end of that so maybe 10-12 inches!  The last snow hasn't melted, and the street still has only a single lane of clear road visible.  Ugh, I love snow but this is getting ridiculous.

I've been stitching on the "Secret" and making good progress but I can't show you because it's a secret. I haven't done any cross stitch since before surgery as it's not easy to get everything thing so I can see it here in the living room.  I may try some tonight back in my bedroom, or not.

Today, while watching "Quilt cam" with Bonnie Hunter, I was hand quilting and thinking of my grandmother.  I remember sitting at her quilting frame watching her quilt.  She even let me stitch a bit-I wonder if she pulled it out.  She was known for removing the work of others if it didn't "measure up."  I have a hexigon quilt she made "out on the dairy" during the depression, her quilting friends came to help her quilt it and one of them "had no business quilting."  She ripped it out.  As I stitched I wondered if my stitches would measure up?  I'm still learning, and I'd hate for anyone to look at the back of this one!  I think there are ripples!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gail, I am back to blogging. Your letter why is on its way. Crazy couple of months for both of us. Sorry about the knee surgery. I am avoiding that one like the plague.

blessings, jill

a good yarn said...

Sigh. Your grandma wouldn't be happy with my quilting I'm afraid. I definitely wouldn't measure up. I have the highest admiration for those whose hands seem to glide across the quilt making tiny stitches. I think it's marvellous that you have a quilt she made. I would never judge anyone else's work. I have been fortunate to receive some beautiful hand made gifts from folks of varying skill levels. Each one is treasured for the time and care taken to create it.