Sunday, February 3, 2013

Crazy weather and simple projects

Last week was the crazy weather week!  On Monday we had a record setting high of 74F, on Tuesday it rained-all day.  We desperately need the rain so no complaints there.  On Wednesday it snowed, not a lot but the grass was white.  On Thursday the low was 5F with wind chills even lower.  It has gradually warmed up again but what a ride!

I've been working for the past week or so on some small projects not related to stitching.  I took the sides of the crib and put them to use.  You remember I used the ends to make a headboard for my bed:

So the sides have been reworked as well, the Before:

Then I cut off those pieces that were sticking up:
After a little sanding I took them into the laundry room and spray painted them.  It takes 4 different sprays to get all the sides painted for every coat, they have three coats of paint on them!  Used 7 cans of spray paint!!!
The shorter of the two, with the help of some LARGE command hooks is hanging on the back of my sewing room door
Holding the freshly pressed strips for an Irish chain quilt.  If I can figure it out-strip piecing is new to me.  Hanging them here emptied a project box!  When I want to sew I can lift the rack and all down then pick it up and put it away when I'm finished.  That sewing room is so small I have to use every available space.

The longer piece has been given a hanger via zip ties!
It will hang in the front closet and hold my table cloths.  As soon as the closet is cleaned!  I had planned to hang it in the sewing room and use it for quilt tops awaiting quilting but it's too wide so table cloths it is!  That will empty out another plastic tote!

I have done lots of sewing too but nothing to show.  I forgot the cross-stitch update last week but I'll be back with that on Wednesday!

1 comment:

a good yarn said...

Gosh you are clever to think of this. Upcycling is the latest craze and you are really tuned in. I'm so impressed and your handy woman and creative skills. I would have just put it out for the council clean up.