Saturday, July 10, 2010

Of gardens, farms and bee stings

I can't believe it's been a week since I last posted!  I can't even blame my gardens as it rained A LOT last week.  Gives me the gloomies.  I have finished the walls in the front garden, well I need to cut a couple of bricks and decide on where to step down the longest wall.  I'll try and get pictures up tomorrow.  This coming week I'll add the edging, get dirt in behind the walls and plant--wow that's a lot, might not get that all done.  I can only work a couple of hours a day at most, at 11am the flies start biting!  Flies and mosquitoes are especially bad this year.

My grandsons are spending the weekend with me, at 1 and 4 they keep you busy!  I have tried to plan things to do and eat that I know they like so today we went to Deanna Rose Farmstead.  It is intended to represent the animals, plants etc of an 1880's Kansas farm.  If the boys were older we could do a history lesson there about how people lived but for now it's about looking at animals, feeding chickens and goats, looking at ducks (and other birds but Kolby is particularly taken with water birds as he loves both the water and birds the combination just about puts him in heaven!) Also eating ice cream and sno cones (Kona ices really.)  Thought at one point Kolby was going in the lake but I managed to grab him before getting more than one leg and foot wet!  Brayden rode the little farm tractors and generally ran around.  As we were eating those ices, it was really hot and they tasted really good, Rob (DS2) called and said he'd been stung by a bee and was swelling up and turning into a giant hive!  Now I am a good 40 minutes away from him and understanding the serious nature of this reaction I told him to call his sister (Beth and the boys Mom who I'm giving a break by keeping the boys so she can organize her house) and have her take him to the Emergency room--NOW!  She did,  the MDs pumped him full of  fluids, steroids etc ordered up some meds to take by mouth and an epi-pen. He is very tired but no longer all swollen and looking like a lobster!  Whew, another close call.

Quilts do come in handy, Kolby is sleeping on the floor on one of the denim quilts backed with fleece and Brayden under the Memories quilt,  he enjoys looking at and talking about all the patches!  He does like to talk!

1 comment:

a good yarn said...

Sounds like a terrific but exhausting day. Thank goodness your son is now okay. Anaphylaxis is a serious thing. I bet the boys looked adorable all suggled up under the quilts. Ann :-)