Wednesday, June 2, 2010

West Coast Vacation-Day Four

Let me just begin this post with a disclaimer: I have never been a big lover of deserts, high or otherwise. I know many people are in love with them, I think they are dull. Perhaps all the drama of eastern Utah's mesas etc spoiled me or at least made today's sights lacking in comparison.

Left St George Utah pretty early after breakfast at Cracker Barrel, I don't know when that will happen again Cracker Barrels are few and far between out here. Unlike yesterday it was a beautiful cloudless day, I worried that it would get hot but I never had to turn on the ac so it was good. Back to travel. Six miles later I crossed into the Pacific Time Zone (now two hours earlier than at home) and Arizona. Went up and down then through the Virgin River canyon (or maybe they called it a gorge-can't remember.) It was very pretty, bottomed out at 2000 ft (remember Independence Pass at over 10,000 feet, my ears may never stop popping! Especially since I hit 6-7000 feet a couple of times and 2000 feet at least one more time and now I'm at sea level.) Thirty miles after entering Arizona I crossed over into Nevada. All day I drove through territory much like this--a broad basin between two mountain ranges. I use the word basin because it seemed that the land was sort of flat in the middle and curved up onto the mountains. The mountains are sharp, treeless and snow-less, the ground between covered with scrub except for the Joshua Trees (these remind me of Gumby with dreadlocks and pompoms, at least the small ones.) About 50 miles of this and you round a curve to see "sin city," Las Vegas that is. A bright and shinny modern oasis-with a real smog day going on. (Isn't it interesting that Nevada, where pretty much anything goes--I don't think they include major Federal deals here like murder, drugs etc but gambling, prostitution that's ok--is right next door to Utah, heart of Mormonism?) See where my mind wanders when bored? A few miles outside of Vegas you cross into California. There are no big signs or tourist information centers to tell you just a sign showing a seat belt wrapping around the state of California shape and the words "click it-it's the law." Perhaps we are not welcome? The road just touches the north edge of Mojave National Preserve and you can see some dry lake beds--that mirage thing is going on, weird. Then you go up and up, down and down, round curve after curve until you catch Interstate 215 around Los Angeles--I'm really glad I don't have to go into LA because the traffic is horrid even this far out at noon! 30 miles give or take and I'm back on Interstate 15 heading south on the last leg of this 4 day cross-country event. I am in some-what familiar territory now having made the trip up and down the 15 to see sights (and quilt shops) in the past. I am really glad to check into my hotel and unload the truck knowing that for the next week this blog will just be about fun stuff, not driving. Kelsey's glad too!

I do believe I lost my enthusiasm somewhere, hope I find it again soon!

2 comments:

Reynolds Rap said...

This sounds like you have seen some beautiful sights. I am glad to see Kelsy enjoying it just as much. I can't wait to see pictures of the kids all having fun. Glad you made it to California in one piece.

a good yarn said...

You may not have enjoyed this leg of the trip but from your descriptions I ma getting a really good idea of what these areas are like. Personally, I like things green but different strokes for different folks. I wonder what the first settlers to thye area thought of it? Any idea how long white settlement has been in Nevada. I assume Native Americans have been there a lot longer. Happy Trails Pilgrim! Ann :-)