Saturday, June 20, 2009

Day 2 in Duluth

Today we went sightseeing in Duluth. I visited two quilt shops, bought one piece of fabric which has the names of lakes in Minnesota printed on blue and one piece with the gorgeous lupines which grow by the road here. I also got some patterns, a Duluth photo piece that's designed as a pillow but which I will make into a small wall hanging. All good memory pieces. We went over to Superior WI (just across the river) and found, finally, the visitor's center which happened to be inside the Richard I. Bong Veterans Historical Center. This is another WWII museum, pacific arena mostly, Richard Bong way a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient from Wisconsin. They had a P-38 inside, very cool. Apparently, we have a WWII theme going this year! WWII veterans are so amazed when one thanks them for their service, I try to do it whenever I meet one.

Tomorrow we travel back into Wisconsin along the south shore of Lake Superior (we did the North Shore on the lake on our Minnesota trip two years ago.) We will be camping in Bayfield, WI for the next two nights. I want to take a ride out to the Apostle Islands and see the lighthouses from the water. Well, that's the only way to see them! More quilt shops on the agenda as well! Maybe there will be photos of fabric and the lake tomorrow!

1 comment:

a good yarn said...

I'm rather jealous of your travels Gail and keep addidng these places to the list of things I want to see when I eventually get to the States. Think I may have to spend a year or too! Your fabrics sound marvellous. Nice pieces to remember the trip.

Happy Trails...Ann :)