Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tuesday travels

Tonya has this week off, vacation, and the four of us drove up to Des Moines for lunch at the Machine Shed. Tonya had never been and we'd been talking about it for a while. It seems a silly thing to do but we had fun! And Larry picked up a router and router table for his wood shop at Woodsmith. (Sort of the equal of a majorly wonderful fabric shop!) Arrived back home, still full and tired.

I just finished the book Tree Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace...One
school at a time. I think this is a life changer for me. I've known for a while that educating girls especially changes a lot of things but I now believe that Mr Mortenson's way it the answer. The one that creates peace on our planet. Not only does he educated girls (boys too but girls are second class persons in many places) but he does it with respect. I highly recommend that you all read it!
You can find out more about Mr Mortenson's work here. You can read what happens when you educate girls at Girl Effect. This has become my charity of choice.

1 comment:

a good yarn said...

Thanks for the links Gail. I'm interested....Ann :)