Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Talking worms

I have been doing a little bit of gardening the last few days and today I went out to turn my veggie boxes in the hope that they will dry out some day soon. I had turned over the first two and was halfway through the third (I only have 3 at the moment) when I heard "chirp, chirp, chirp" a very panicked sound. Now I'd been admiring all the worms I'd been turning over with the dirt as when I first dug here we had no worms at all. In my strange thought pattern when doing repetitive tasks I thought of the movie "Seven Years in Tibet" and the segment where Brad Pitt's character is trying to dig footings and the laborers are complaining that he is killing worms. This got me thinking about the Dali Lama (whom I would really like to meet) and how he heard chickens asking to be set free. Just at that point it's "Cheep, cheep, cheep." After I looked for birds and discovered the sound coming from beneath my feet I swear for a moment I thought the worms were talking to me! When reason returned I discovered a rabbits nest with four tiny babies! I stopped digging. I haven't seen the Mama back out there so I don't know if they will live but at least I didn't dig them up. Howerver, I did tell Tanya that I would NOT be bottle feeding baby rabbits! Hope you have all enjoyed a good laugh!

1 comment:

a good yarn said...

Heavens above - rabbits in the garden! I'm afraid they are in plague proportions here in Australia and are generally considered a pest. I have seen the damage they do and it's quite freaky to see a hillside move all at once. Seems that for you, the early bird catches the rabbit!

Cheers...Ann :)