Thursday, April 9, 2009

Fredericksburg, TX day two

We had a very busy day today, I got so tired I wished for another day here! It's such a neat little town whose original settlers were Germans--a tourist trap my Dad would say, but not so much as Branson etc. We began the day with fresh strawberries so how could anything go wrong? Started out back at Johnson City at part of the Johnson National Historic site, this is the farm of his grandfather. There were several really neat buildings, some longhorn cattle, chickens(chooks to the Aussies) running about loose and a really amazing live oak tree it's roots partly out of the ground and branches laying gracefully on the ground, very old I think. We took pictures, of course, when we get home and Larry downloads the digital and I get my prints back I'll post some of the best ones. After that we went to the Second part of the LBJ National Historic Park, his ranch (the Texas White House.) They have a nice driving tour around the park with a cd telling about everything, music playing (LBJ liked "Rain Drops Keep Falling on my Head",) LBJ, Lady Bird and others telling stories etc. They give tours of the inside of the house, and the dairy barn etc but we opted out as Larry can only walk so much.
Then we went to the Wildflower farm, a commercial garden center where I would be completely overwhelmed if I shopped for plants! I did buy some seeds for the hill in back though.
We stopped back at the trailer for lunch, to turn OFF the coffeepot (I'm really spoiled by one that turns itself off at home) and to turn the air conditioner ON! It was quite hot, I am not ready for summer heat--oh, who am I kidding I'm never ready for summer heat! Then we went to The National Museum of the Pacific War. It turns out that Admiral Nimitz was born here in Fredericksburg. It was a beautifully done museum complete with a Japanese mini-sub, a B-29, and a camp as on one of the islands--complete with rats! I think every possible facet of the war in the pacific from Pearl Harbor on was covered. They are adding on more space too! Definitely, worth a trip here just for that!
You'd think that all that would be enough for one day but we read about an abandoned RR tunnel that was the summer home of MILLIONS of bats and after the disapointment in Austin we decided to drive to it and watch them fly at dusk. The park folks told us not to expect too much as it's early in the year so the bats are not all here yet and they don't always come out until after dark. We were sitting on bleachers waiting for the time they'd flow last night when they began POURING out of the tunnel. Thousands, I'm sure. They poured out of the tunnel grouped up and flew away in huge masses. It was amazing, truely amazing.

So, it's a long post for a busy day. Tomorrow we're off for Dallas/Fort Worth.

No comments: