Monday, January 12, 2009

Grand Junction

Larry wanted me to include these photos of the rest area where Grizzly Creek joins the Colorado River in Grand Junction Canyon.

In the end chicken cup of soup saved the day! Larry managed to eat a bowl of that for breakfast, along with a variety of pills for nausea and we set out for Vegas again. First, we went to Golden to the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum. I have been reading about the place for some time and wanted to see it and we wanted to give the highway department some more time to clear I-70 westbound. I enjoyed the museum, it is small but had a very nice exhibit of California Gold Rush quilts that I especially enjoyed. The other exhibit was the works of several art quilters from the northwest. Some of which I enjoyed and others that I didn't care for. There where some that were very heavily machine quilted, beautiful, but they made me tired! I especially enjoyed the small pieces that were framed in rust pocked metal. We decided not to go up to Breckenridge because of the snow and I'm glad we didn't. The highway was very snowy, not just packed but drifted and blowing until we got over Vail pass then it got better fast. We arrived in Grand Junction in time for dinner, a late start coupled with the snow made for a very slow driving day.